Posted on: 7 August 2016
In between visits to an authorized Rolex repair shop, you need to take steps to keep your watch running. Proper maintenance of your watch helps to extend its lifespan and helps to prevent mechanical issues. Here are some tips for maintaining your Rolex.
- Wear the watch. If your watch is stored for long periods of time, its hands can start to stiffen. If you are planning to store the watch, consider using a winding box to keep the hands moving.
- Never lay it on any surface. The tiniest movement on an abrasive surface could scratch the finish of your watch. In the event that you do have to lay it down, always place it on a cloth first.
- Avoid wearing other jewelry on the same arm. Other jewelry, such as a bracelet, could scratch your Rolex.
- Use the right polishing cloth. Only use polishing cloths that have been soaked in a polishing liquid. Other cloths can damage the finish of your watch. When polishing the watch, only use a moderate amount of pressure.
- Cover the watch in the sun. Too much exposure to the sun can cause the dial and the paint on the watch to fade. You can use a lint-free wristband to completely cover the watch from the sun.
- Remove it for winding. When you need or want to wind the Rolex, place it on a soft, flat surface. Doing this helps to protect its movement. Allow the watch a few minutes to restart before wearing it again.
- Inspect the watch for loose screws. Part of the normal wear and tear on your watch is the screws can sometimes loosen. If the screws are loose, use a screwdriver to tighten them. Avoid putting too much pressure on the screws because you do not want to strip the threads. Stop turning the screwdriver when the screws are flush with the surface of the watch. If the screws frequently loosen, it is time to have it inspected by a professional.
- Get it serviced. Even if you are taking good care of your watch, it is important to have it professionally serviced. The pro can thoroughly clean the watch, assess it for problems, and correct any issues before they worsen.
Consult with your Rolex repair professional or Hayes Jewelers to find other ways to maintain your watch between service visits. He or she can provide you with model specific tips that will keep your watch functioning throughout the year.Share